Reply To: Do I ask my 22yr old to leave or let him stay?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Do I ask my 22yr old to leave or let him stay? Reply To: Do I ask my 22yr old to leave or let him stay?

sydmom
Participant

I also have a 22 yr. old son who sounds like he may be living in your home!! I kicked him out several times, and he is now living with his grandmother doing exactly the same thing. He has not done much in the way of making changes. He also seems to be very immature for his age. I wonder if you have the same issue with your son? He’s more like a 16-17 year old. He won’t take ADD medication and is also quite socially anxious. He does not like the meds and he has never kept a job for more than a few weeks. He does not have friends from high school and none that are actually not “online friends” It’s very bizarre to me. I have not found a solution. He doesn’t even seem to care that other people are paying for his (non) life-style.

It always seems to me that if he were doing drugs, at least he would have a reason for behaving this way. His grandmother does not seem to mind that he does not want to work and she is ok with him just living there and playing games all the time. I too was a single parent. His father and my parents both took him in for a few months, only to find that what I was telling them was not an exaggeration.

I wish I had an answer for you. I really do. But I guess I am just adding my story so you know you are not the only mother with a child who is like this. I seriously thought I was the only mother that had a grown child. I feel like I did something wrong. I fear that my youngest child will follow in his footsteps. Ugghh.. I am always waiting for the day that he tell me.. ” Mom, I have to go to work, but I’ll talk to you later” or ” Mom, I got an apartment, and it’s really nice, you should come see it.”