Reply To: My son is 19 and has not graduated high school

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning My son is 19 and has not graduated high school Reply To: My son is 19 and has not graduated high school

Abthorn
Participant

My 17 year old son found a way out of the nightmare of high school by taking the CHSPE- California High School Proficiency Exam. It is easier than the GED with only math and English (reading comprehension and writing a short essay) but equivalent to diploma in most every way (it does make it harder to get in the military, like with a GED, but if you’re on ADHD meds they won’t take you anyway-at least the Marines). Students are eligible at age 16. The schools are legally supposed to tell students about that option but didn’t in our case. I figured it’s better than watching him suffer anxiety, depression, defeat and failing grades which seem a perfect combination to just drop out with the mountain of credits he still needed. My son passed the CHSPE first try so bam! He’s done. Now that the nightmare is over (which is a relief for both of us) he’s stuck at how to move forward. But I’m confident at this point he will. I agree wholeheartedly with Penny and her views and would figure out how to get past school, CHSPE if in California (or maybe something similar in your state) or the GED.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Abthorn.