Reply To: My son is 19 and has not graduated high school

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning My son is 19 and has not graduated high school Reply To: My son is 19 and has not graduated high school

Chanman
Participant

My heart goes out to you, because our son has experienced many of the same things. For the first time we found real answers @ Real Battle Ministries. It was founded by a physician, Andrew Doan,MD (http://realbattle.org/our-team/) who himself became addicted to video games & has now done years of research. The biggest key is that video games can become a true addiction, just like gambling, sexual or even drug additions. Video games give immediate gratification & with continued can even alter brain neuropathways that create the additions. Angry outbursts can even be due to this addiction. This addition creates a lack of motivation to do anything else in life, so the addiction has to be addressed & dealt with before his life will change. And, as with any addiction, the person may have to hit bottom to want and accept any help. My son does have adhd, but video game addition can happen to anyone. There is a path to recovery, but only by understanding the true causes of video game addiction & the paths to recovery. Our son is now in college & looking towards the future.