Reply To: How/when do you let them “off leash”

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline How/when do you let them “off leash” Reply To: How/when do you let them “off leash”

MandyM
Participant

I hear ya! My son is very similar and it is difficult when they are constantly hearing what they can’t do versus what they can. We recently signed our son up for drum lessons and it has been amazing! First, for obvious reasons, its a great outlet. Second, his drum teacher is very similar so he just ‘gets’ him. He tailors his teaching style to engage my son properly and only gives him ‘homework’ that he knows he will want to complete and at a pace that is appropriate for him. They are private lessons as well which keeps him actively engaged and he is then not disruptive for other kids. We purchased a practice pad only at home so he can bang away yet allow us to keep our sanity since a practice pad is relatively silent. We also have him playing basketball, due to the constant running and aggressive nature of the game. He has seems to have taken to that as well. Hope that helps!