Reply To: ADHD medication and family history of epilepsy

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child ADHD medication and family history of epilepsy Reply To: ADHD medication and family history of epilepsy

Debbie2011
Participant

Hi, My son (6.5 years old) used to get tics from the birth and around his 4th birthday he had full seizure. We started Valporic acid. He has no other occurrence and we stopped medication after his Neurologist consultation this summer. My husband has epilepsy too and gets grand mal seizure. He is mostly under control with medication but any sort of stress can result in him having seizure. He has been complaining about the twitches and tics since then. Apparently in grade 1, he is 20th percentile in his class of 20 kids and not able to pay attention to teachers’ instructions. He has been formally diagnosed by ADD yesterday and we have got prescription for Biphentin. His neurologist is OK with him starting biphentin. With his tic situation, we are still doubtful about medicine. Also we are exploring the alternative methods e.g. Cogmed etc. My son shows some symptoms of anxiety and ODD.