Reply To: My son is 19 and has not graduated high school

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning My son is 19 and has not graduated high school Reply To: My son is 19 and has not graduated high school

debbikennedy
Participant

I also went through this with my son. He has Dyslexia, ADHD and Auditory Processing Disorder. We had to have him enrolled in High School for a extra year to get the credits needed due to the fact that he attended 3 different high schools so credits were different. What we ended up doing was online high school classes. We chose one that met the accrediation of our school district and state.

This allowed my son to go at this own pace, along with the fact as he did not have to deal with all the high school drama and trauma. He could sleep later and also this would allow his medication to kick in, not to mention we worked his accommodations they way they needed to be. We did not have to fight all the school bs this way. My son got his credits and had much better grades as he did not have to deal with the drama. No he did not attend his high school graduation as that was his choice. The day his class graduated he was in Florida attending a concert of his favorite country group. This meant way more to him than walking across the stage. We still had the family graduation party about a month after the school graduation which allowed the folks he really wanted at his party to attend.