Reply To: Performance evaluation time at work: setting constructive goals

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Performance evaluation time at work: setting constructive goals Reply To: Performance evaluation time at work: setting constructive goals

edbasu
Participant

Hi KTdoesit:

I found your post by chance, not being ADD myself, but interested in issues of health and well-being, and helping people with them.

I am not sure whether it is ‘worth it’ to address your root issues with your manager. Too much information there can harm your career. In my opinion, your focus there should be on what the expectations are in terms of goals, and what suggestions your manager has for meeting those. In terms of the local office, you mention that you don’t think he has the power to bring you into it. That’s something you can look into. But first, wouldn’t you want to find out what that local office is like before finding out whether your manager has influence there? Is there a counterpart to you in that office? If yes, can you meet that person for a coffee or lunch? Can you meet any of the workers there for lunch? Find out how they like working there? What it is like?

The other issue that you bring up related to having a routine, social isolation are important to address as they affect your well-being. Well-being is the corner stone of success. This is true whether you are ADD or not. Another corner stone is knowing what works for you. Even non-ADD folks like to get themselves out of the house, to a coffeeshop, and work there. Or they break up their day and walk with a friend, or go for an exercise class. They join clubs, bookclub, artclub, etc, to meet up in the evening a couple of times per week. Exercising in the morning with a buddy, or in a set group, makes you feel part of something, and starts your day of in a good way. A yoga or mindfulness class in the evening can also work well once or twice per week. Socialization is a must. Studies have been done on what happens to human beings in isolation, as in prison, like solitary confinement. Even those with good self-management skills, and reading ability, and access to books, over time, become anxious, less able or completely unable to focus, become panicky, and cannot feel quiet enough to read or have any interest in this anymore. They also over time loose their skill to interact with other human beings.
When people retire, do you know what the worst thing is for most? The loss of their routine, and interaction with others on the job (eventhough these folks are not their friends). Learning to create your own routine, and then sticking to it, learning how you can best stick to it, are skills all of us need. Time to get started! I am sure that you already know what to do.

I hope this was somewhat helpful. I quickly typed this out, as I thought you might be looking for a reply from someone fast. 🙂

Write a few words back. I will be nice to know that you read it.

E–