Reply To: Dealing with other Parents who don't understand

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Dealing with other Parents who don't understand Reply To: Dealing with other Parents who don't understand

salemer
Participant

Wow, I am so thankful I found this site! I can totally sympathize with each and everyone of you. Being a parent of a 14 year old son is tough enough in this day and age. Throw in ADHD and ODD and forget it! My son was diagnosed a year ago but we noticed his symptoms in elementary school. He’s a smart boy who “slipped through the cracks” because the school work was easy. Now that he’s in highschool and needs to focus a bit more, his behaviors are out of control. He has a mouth like a trucker (no offense truckers), is super disrespectful to anyone that tells him to do anything he doesn’t want to do and has no regard for rules. My biggest fear is that he’ll cross the line and get into real trouble with the law before we can “tame the beast.” We’ve been to counselors, psychologists, psychiatrists. We’ve had DCF called (department of child and family services, we’ve had behaviorists in the house. If I hear one more person tell me I need to give him more love, I might be screaming right along with him! Unfortunately, the parents of his friends no longer want them to “hang out” together. They’re afraid the behaviors will rub off. He is the “bad kid” in school. The school system can’t accommodate his learning style so he’s in his second outpatient program. As much as the programs are fantastic, he’s mixed in with children with other types of issues (drugs, juvenile offenders) so he’s picked up some lovely traits. To top it all off, my husband and I have different parenting styles and do not agree on how to best discipline him. Our home life is a wreck and our marriage is seriously suffering. My husband and I both work full time jobs and trying to get time off for various PPTs, MD appts, psychologists is tough, financially. It’s nice to have a place to vent. So thank you to all for listening. 🙂