Reply To: Dealing with other Parents who don't understand

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Dealing with other Parents who don't understand Reply To: Dealing with other Parents who don't understand

jhasselt
Participant

I had to post and just say you are all doing amazing! I’m with you original poster. I have 2 of my four children who I believe suffer (one is formally diagnosed and on medication, the younger we bring in today). The judgments come from both sides: 1. other parents that you should discipline more 2. adhd is not real and they’re a normal kid. I’m currently dealing with the later with my immediate family. They do not know about my kids, because I’m not sure they would be supportive. I spent over an hour there last night where they blamed everyone else for not letting my son be a typical energetic kid. They think my older son “grew out of it” because he calmed down when he started the meds. They’ve complimented his new behavior, but have convinced themselves that he just grew up and it was a stage…

Long story short, we need to be here for each other! I wish I could find support in person from other parents, but in my community its all quiet.