Reply To: Dealing with other Parents who don't understand

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Dealing with other Parents who don't understand Reply To: Dealing with other Parents who don't understand

dlpimental
Participant

In my early 20’s, I witnessed my teenage niece lash out at her mom who let it slide…and I remember thinking, I’d never let my kid talk to me like that, lol. I was THAT jerk. Fast forward
20 years and I have an adopted daughter with ADHD/ODD combo, along with all the anxieties, low self esteem, learning difficulties. In the process I also was diagnosed w/ ADHD. Discovered my aforementioned niece has all the same symptoms, too. Her mom is my biggest support!

For the record, I do believe in God…and I may not have an easy life (really, who does have a perfect life?)…but I do know I’ve been entrusted with so much and can only celebrate the child I’ve been given, not the perfect one I dreamed of.

That being said…her future is what she makes of it. She suffers consequences of poor decisions, I don’t protect her from that. I am making tutoring mandatory so I don’t have to nag and do battle with home work. My sanity has been restored. Worth..every…penny! That is one battlefield I will

But I pick my battles, like my sister-in-law did. I amend alot of
the discipline gurus teachings–like Love and Logic, I get through emails. The Explosive Child, by Ross W. Green is also an excellent help. I need to download him to my audiobooks for frequent reminders when at the end of my rope and I can’t think straight, note to self.