Reply To: Services offered with IEP's

StillPlaysMC
Participant

I’m not answering your question directly, but I’m assuming you’re asking this because you want to try giving your kid an IEP. If that’s what you decide on, then you might want to read this.

Well, first things first, I’m not a parent. I’m not even fifteen years old. However, as a middle school student who happens to have an IEP, I can give you some advice.
For one thing, you always need to tell your kid about their IEP and how it will accommodate them. Always include them when creating the IEP. Always, always, always. Before I was diagnosed, everyone thought I didn’t care. My father would beat me and yell at me. Even after my diagnosis, he continues to be controlling (though that’s not very useful information).
Anyway, I didn’t even know that I had an IEP. On top of that, I wasn’t even allowed to say what I wanted. I wasn’t allowed to tell people what I needed. My parents, who had no understanding of me, did it instead.
And I hated it. Every single year, it was the same thing. It didn’t help me. It wasted time and depleted my self esteem by a ton, once I found out about my IEP. I thought everyone saw me as nothing more than some freak who needed special education. By sixth grade, I had grown out of my anger issues and had no use for the group. I didn’t understand at all why I was there, and I was treated the wrong way. That was from second grade to sixth. All those years that could’ve been spent helping me were wasted because I wasn’t included.

Please don’t do the same to your child.