Reply To: Workplace emotions and impulse

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Workplace emotions and impulse Reply To: Workplace emotions and impulse

rgoodrich
Participant

I had a similar experience lately. As a result of my newfound confidence and energy (thanks Adderall!) I took initiative and gathered some information from the chair of another department at our university with the idea of passing it along to my supervisor. Long story short–she was incensed that I had overstepped my bounds, not my role, yadda, yadda. I was humiliated in front of colleagues that I respect. It really affected my nervous system; my stomach was in knots and I couldn’t breathe for a few days.

I have been able to process the experience and realize that I didn’t do anything wrong, but it’s hard to fully accept that when your central nervous system is still on high-alert. I’ve come to realize it’s a balancing act. We don’t want to act impulsively or inappropriately, yet we can’t stay locked in our offices, always afraid to make waves. I have decided that whenever I have a “great” idea that’s a little out of the ordinary, I’m going to either run it by someone else to get a second opinion, or at least sit on it for a day or two before I act.