Reply To: Terrified about treatment

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Terrified about treatment Reply To: Terrified about treatment

Penny Williams

You should work with a psychiatrist or pediatric ADHD specialist on medication for your son. Most pediatricians just don’t have the breadth of knowledge and experience to prescribe and manage ADHD medications.

ADHD Doctor? Psychologist? Therapist? Finding the Best Treatment Professional

In fact, there are two types of stimulants for ADHD: methylphenidates and amphetamines. Most individuals do well on one type or the other, but not both. So, if your son does better on methylphenidate, I’m not sure your pediatrician will ever get there, since they always use Adderall (which is amphetamine type). Plus, the statement of “a little” means your clinician doesn’t understand that dosing stimulants is based on neurotransmitter needs, genetics, and metabolism. “A little” might not make any difference, or even make things worse, for many people.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

There are also non-stimulant medications available — so maybe you can try that first.

ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism