Reply To: 9 year old ODD is getting the best of me

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline 9 year old ODD is getting the best of me Reply To: 9 year old ODD is getting the best of me

Macty
Participant

My daughter is almost 15. She has ADHA, ODD an social anxiesty. When she was 4 an my son (who is ADD as is my husband) was 1 she started cutting the screen in our house an running away. My husbands job left me pretty much on my own. So i would have to chasce my daughter an i litterly mean running after.iI would have to leave my son in his stroller on the side walk to run as fast as i could to catch her. This continued for a very long time. We bought locks for the doors that you couldnt open with out a key. We would put screws in the windows so you couldnt open them more then an inch. I had a friend on the police force. I had him come to the house in his squad car in full uniform to talk to her when she was about ten. Didnt help. Rewards didnt help. She didnt care if we took things away from her. One time she was gone for two hours. I spent two hours looking for her while my father in law stayed with my son. At this point she was only on meds for her ADHD. But im here to tell you she did grow out of that. I had the same problem with asking her to do things. She is getting better. But now she has the teenage attitude an its driving me nuts. But she is a little more compliant. It does get better with time. So hang in there. It does get better as far as that goes. But the teenage attitude is hard to deal with. An her emotions are always extreme.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Macty.