Reply To: 9 year old ODD is getting the best of me

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline 9 year old ODD is getting the best of me Reply To: 9 year old ODD is getting the best of me

jhasselt
Participant

My DS is also 9 and has ADHD and ODD. When reviewing our options with our pediatrician he mentioned that some options (in our case stimulants) can cause aggression. He recommended the generic form of Intuniv ER to relieve the ADHD symptoms without causing even more aggression. If I were you, I would review the medications he is taking. I have also read The Explosive Child, which helps somewhat, but if the medication is causing aggression, I’m afraid you won’t get very far. Kids with ODD have no fear of consequences. It’s a constant struggle. We still have moments when I see the ODD, but it is farther and farther between and MUCH, MUCH more manageable as a parent. This year his teacher actually enjoys having him in class. Last year, I met with the Principal more times than I have in my entire life!!! Good luck Mama! Know that you’re not alone and you’re doing what you can!