Reply To: Taking medication for ADHD but have Tourette’s

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Taking medication for ADHD but have Tourette’s Reply To: Taking medication for ADHD but have Tourette’s

seashell
Participant

Hi and thank you for sharing your own experience.

I’ve spoken with a couple of people who have told me that Straterra (Atomoxetine) works really well for them and their children where Ritalin has not. It is reassuring to hear that it also works well for you and that your past experience of Ritalin did not result in any increase in tics.

I’m not averse to the idea of my daughter taking any medication. Indeed, I feel that this is probably the right thing to try. What I do not want is be pressured by any doctor into putting her onto a medication that may make things so much worse for her when she already has enough to cope with. I may not have Tourette’s and ADHD myself but I walk in my daughter’s shoes each day when I see what she is having to cope with. No doctor, unless they have actual personal experience, could ever fully understand this.

I think that the final sentence of your post says it all really – and by telling me this you have also given me hope for my daughter at a very difficult time. Thank you so much.

seashell