Reply To: ADHD is ruining my life

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults ADHD is ruining my life Reply To: ADHD is ruining my life

Penny Williams
Keymaster

Just the fact that you’re here and looking to improve at the age of 13 is huge, and a definite sign that you’re going to be fine. As Pump2Duncan said, your determination will carry you far.

I challenge you to sit down, grab a piece of paper, and write down all the positive traits and aspects of you. Include everything — talents, interests, passions… Are you kind? A loyal friend? What topics are you interested in? Etc… Then, make a list of your life aspirations. What would you like your life to be like as an adult? We all have strengths and weaknesses — harness the strengths to overcome and work around weaknesses.

After that, you have the information you need to craft strategies, goals, and plans to achieve what you’d like to in your life. Take it one step at a time.

The articles will help with the process:

They Should Teach This Stuff In High School

Time Management for Teens: “Scheduling is Power”

Lastly, don’t let your father’s attitude toward you get you down. He simply doesn’t understand ADHD, which means he doesn’t understand you. If he did understand, he’d see things differently. Work from what you know to be true for you, and everything else will fall into place.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism