Reply To: What are your favorite traits that ADHD has given you?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults What are your favorite traits that ADHD has given you? Reply To: What are your favorite traits that ADHD has given you?

JKHoopes7
Participant

I agree that my ADD (diagnosed at 56) has given me an immense amount of creativity. Combining colors and textures and building something beautiful is a brainstorm of energy for me. I am a quilter who can sew for hours and not notice the day has gone by. But I have a terrible time sitting to watch a tv show with my hubby. If I can work on a hand sewing project in my lap, OK. But I can’t sit and actually pay attention to a show I’m not fascinated by. And forget watching a movie in a theater. I haven’t been for years!
My father was so proud of my memory skills as a kid, he would treat it like a parlor trick; he’d say “If I name any book in the house she can tell me exactly where it is located.” But required things like math or science were a real drag because I was so inept.
I have a daughter who was treated for ADD in middle school & high school. She is now an empathetic Social Worker which I admire. I have worked in healthcare for years and I seem to be the one in a crisis who can take charge and remain calm.