Reply To: Torn Apart and Maxed Out

deb91
Participant

Mymiley, I’m sorry to hear you are feeling so badly right now. I can relate to your feelings of being frayed and at the end of your rope. Both my 14 year old son and my husband have ADHD. I get very tired and feel like I’m pulling more than my share of the load often. I too deal with emotional issues (I’m bipolar) and work full-time (as a librarian as a matter of fact! – in our State Archives).

First, if you have not gotten treatment for your anxiety and depression, either therapy, medication, or both, please do so. When I’m depressed it colors my whole world view, and I see everything through a negative lens. It is difficult to be compassionate and empathetic when you feel no contentment or joy yourself.

Second, find something you enjoy and make time for it in your schedule. Self-care is so important! Go out with some friends, join a small group at church, a book club at your public library, a fitness class, anything that is just for you and gives you a break from your family. Even if your family members weren’t dealing with ADHD, depression, and anxiety, I think it’s good to maintain some interests of your own. Families need a break from each other sometimes 😊

Finally, is finding a librarian position outside the school system an option? It sounds as though you’re dealing with some of the same issues at work as at home, or that your work is rather stressful to you. Maybe finding a librarian position in another setting would help ease some stress. I know my job feels like an oasis of calm and orderliness in a sometimes chaotic home life.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Hang in there as you are definitely not alone!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by deb91.