Reply To: Accommodations at work: what to ask for?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Accommodations at work: what to ask for? Reply To: Accommodations at work: what to ask for?

roobles1
Participant

I think some pretty reasonable accommodations would be
-To get things in writing(I get everything in either email or printed form).
-To have a space provided that will allow you to focus(private room, quiet in the office, etc).
-To allow you to get up and move around often (This is not a problem for me as I am a physical Therapist:Great profession for someone with ADHD by the way)
As far as organizational tips, I have found calendars/planners to be life changing. Start by filling your planner with all of the recurring things that you need to do daily/weekly/monthly. Next, make sure you actually look at your planner. I find that Google’s “reminders” along with a few well placed alarms will usually get me to (eventually) look at my planner and calendars. This will make it much easier for you to prioritize and allow you to (or, be more likely to) know whether you actually have time for all of the things you want/need to accomplish. Also, sticky notes. Use them, love them, worship them. Once you have completely addressed one sticky note, throw it away so you can better focus on the ones that still need your oh, so precious, attention. As far as “frequent simple mistakes,” I have sticky notes stuck to the side or bottom of my computer screen to remind me of methods to correct them. Some examples could be:”make sure you double check your spelling before hitting send on all emails, especially in regards to client names,” “Make sure you include X,Y,Z (whatever is required to be included) in your emails (or whatever documents you need help with),” or sometimes I have reminders simply to make sure I do the thing I’m supposed to do. Also, don’t feel bad about asking other people to remind you of things, or to clarify how something is spelled. Lastly, have a routine. And make sure that somewhere in your routine is time set aside to be impulsive or inattentive or excitable or hyperactive: time when you don’t need to worry about being anything other who you are. I might also do some soul searching and decide whether this is the right career for you. Maybe, make a list of all things you like (currently or in the past) about your position. Then, make a list of all the things you don’t like/don’t work for you. Then make a list of the things your “ideal” career would include. Go through the lists and remove anything you can change/achieve without changing careers. Then compare them. I’m not an ADHD coach or anything but, I hope that helps.
*Edit
The best advice I can give you is to work with a coach/counselor/therapist to learn the best ways to manage your symptoms and keep you accountable. They can help with that “shame” you mentioned and teach you methods for handling your emotions. It might seem wild right now but, it gets better. Getting diagnosed allowed me to change my life for the better. I found a career that I am passionate about and I have been able to hold a steady position and actually earn the respect of my coworkers, who, by the way, see me as a role model and not as a screw up. I am able make my friends feel like I actually give a darn about them. Most of all, it gave me what I needed to save my marriage and(finally) allow my poor wife to feel like she’s not alone in this relationship. Bonus! I actually follow-through-with/finish (almost)all of the things start/take-on. In summation of this mammoth wall of text, stick with it and keep your head up, buddy! You’re going like wherever this rabbit hole leads you.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by roobles1. Reason: Clarification, background