Reply To: Is it beneficial for the child to know they have ADHD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Is it beneficial for the child to know they have ADHD? Reply To: Is it beneficial for the child to know they have ADHD?

Ideally kids would know how they learn. Before I retired I worked in several special ed schools, and I found that the kids who understood and accepted their diagnosis did better than those who denied it. I used to say that we all learn differently, and sometimes we need to get from A to C via D,E and F. Just because you have ADHD doesn’t give you an excuse not to try. Thomas Edison had LD, possibly ADHD or autism. He tried thousands of substances before he found a filament for his light bulb. He said that none of his efforts was a failure, because he had a list of things that didn’t work, now all he needed was to find one that did. I have noticed that kids are often quite forthcoming about their differences and will often volunteer the fact that they have dyslexia or ADHD or Asperger’s. There is still some bullying, but generally peers seem to be more accepting, particularly if this is modelled by adults.