Reply To: Homework reminders

Penny Williams
Keymaster

Yes, definitely get a 2nd set of books to keep at home during the school year.

It’s important for the teacher and everyone else involved to understand that ADHD is a developmental disorder and a physiological difference in the brain. Kids that lack responsibility and accountability don’t have a character flaw, that have a different neurological system in many ways.

ADHD is much, much more complex than most people realize, even teachers. This iceberg principle printable could help the teacher:

What Every Teacher Should Know About ADHD: A Poster for School

In 7th grade I ask my son’s English teacher if he could post assignments on his page on the school website. He said he doesn’t do it so kids in 7th grade learn to be accountable. I swiftly told him that’s a great expectation for neurotypical kids, but it’s not an appropriate expectation for a student with ADHD, especially a student with severe executive functioning deficits. Argh!

When Executive Functions Falter and Fail

My son has had in his IEP that he is to receive WRITTEN instructions for 2 years now, and it still hasn’t happened (that’s 12+ teachers and not one complied).

My son uses an iPad in place of pencil and paper due to his significant EFD, and due to dysgraphia. He is allowed to take a photo of the assignment written on the board. He has an accommodation in his IEP that teachers are supposed to check his calendar and make sure he’s getting assignments recorded and has what he needs to complete them, but teachers don’t do this either.

Unfortunately, without consistent, daily support in school, our kids can’t learn to improve these skills and learn systems to work around the deficiencies.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism