Reply To: How can I help him focus in school?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning How can I help him focus in school? Reply To: How can I help him focus in school?

gentlygenli
Participant

Give him a smartphone with the app Alarmed. Set the alarms to auto reset. Put a chime 3 minutes before the end of each class for him to note down his homework and put any worksheets in the To Do sections. Set another for 2 minutes into the beginning of class telling him to turn in his work. If he can’t turn it in yet he needs to get it out and put it on his desk.

This phone can be set so he can’t download any apps from the store. It is an assistive device.

It’s likely that he’s really and truly forgetting. :). This will help.

Please tell me he’s on meds! A low dose makes school so much less maddening. I’m an ADHD adult. I suffered greatly in school every single day–even though I didn’t get in trouble and I made great grades. If only I had been diagnosed then, I could have been spared years of torture.

If medicating him so he can function in an institutional environment is something you’re not willing to do, it’s your responsibility to make alternative arrangements for his education.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by gentlygenli.