Reply To: Evening "Med Crash" Struggles

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Evening "Med Crash" Struggles Reply To: Evening "Med Crash" Struggles

Glasmom5
Participant

I have 3 kids with ADHD and sensory processing disorder. We also struggle with the med rebound and morning craziness. One med that really helped was Daytrana. It’s a version of concerta administered by patch. The best part is you can apply it 1/2 hour before your child wakes up so the med is working before their feet hit the floor. It also works great if they sleep in on the weekend, because you can apply it any time. Just remove the patch 3 hours before bedtime. We found that the rebound effect was much less with the patch.

For the ODD/backtalk, I highly recommend the website http://www.empoweringparents.com. they have real, usable, practical advice for handling difficult kids (I’ve got one). The most important thing I’ve learned about my ODD daughter is to walk away. ODD kids LOVE to argue. They don’t care if they win or lose, they just like the power struggle. So, the best thing to do is disengage and come back when she’s calmed down and ready to listen.