Reply To: Household organisation

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Household organisation Reply To: Household organisation

ariadne
Participant

How many people do you have to cook for? Are there any picky eaters?
What’s going to work best for you is what’s easiest for you to do.

I like cooking 2 nights a week. The other five I resent it, so I try to make it as easy as I can.
I double or triple recipes so I don’t have to cook every night. Frozen vegetables are quick and easy to prepare, especially in a microwave. Broccoli is really easy to prepare compared to green beans or other more complicated vegetables (and if you smother it in butter most people will eat it). Quinoa cooks twice as fast as rice and is a great substitute. Chicken breasts microwave very easily and are often more moist than cooked on the stove.

Tomatoes are in season here right now. Yesterday I made scrambled eggs with tomatoes and onions. Today I made gazpacho in a blender and quadrupled the recipe. Some I froze for the winter, some I put in the fridge for tomorrow, and I cooked chicken thighs in what was left.

A big pot of spaghetti sauce makes spaghetti, lasagna, tacos, and sloppy joes. I make a lot and freeze the extra in jars for spaghetti or tacos when I don’t have time to cook.

I make sure that I always have my staples on hand (e.g. herbs, canned beans, frozen vegetables, pasta, rice, soup stock, eggs, tinned fish) because I hate not having what I need and having to go to the store for it. And when I’m desperate, pasta and canned tuna with some frozen veg is easy and hits the necessary food groups.

I also look for recipes to make sure they’re easy to prepare and don’t need too many ingredients. I have a handful I know I can do without thinking about it.

The other day I realized that I felt comfortable playing around with my co0king because I’d put in my ten thousand hours. (Yikes!) Keep at it, and do what you enjoy eating. It may never be fun but it will be easier.