Reply To: Excessive suspicion of Ritalin abuse- Is this normal???

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Excessive suspicion of Ritalin abuse- Is this normal??? Reply To: Excessive suspicion of Ritalin abuse- Is this normal???

AshlieH
Participant

@gentlygentil
I am a blond, fat, glasses-wearing white girl. I wear pretty normal clothes, jeans, tee-shirts, blouses- the same stuff I’d wear to work. I had a co-worker once tell me I looked like a vegetarian. I am college educated and have no piercings but my ears and two tattoos that are not visible when I am wearing clothes, generally. The same practice has a dental subdivision that I have been to for a wisdom tooth removal- they gave me a silly number of percoset for it without blinking, no follow up, nothing.

@ADHDmomma

Every one else I’ve talked to agrees with that conclusion as well.

@pump2duncan

I get different answers usually, but every-other appointment is apparently their policy.

I’m going to share this story with you all- The reason I joined on here and made this post yesterday was because I was yet again asked to come in for a pill count.

I get called in, sit down with the nurse, she counts the pills, and then drops this bomb: Apparently, my last test came back with no meds in my system so now my doctor is requesting an observed urine test. I’m immediately confused and outraged- I’ve been taking my meds faithfully, every other test has been clean, and urines for me are hard normally. She repeats everything over and over, I signed this contract, blah blah blah- I insist they give me a print out of the test results and this contract I signed (that said nothing about observed urines as far as I can remember). She leads me into the bathroom and as soon as I sit down I lose it, sobbing uncontrolably. I couldn’t believe they were doing this. I can’t even calm myself down enough to try to force myself to go. We take a break and I spend my time chugging tap water and trying to disassociate so I can just get this over with and stop crying. She has another nurse come in to try with me and this one has the nerve to try to keep the door to the hallway open while I go!!!! After the second nurse realizes i’m not just going to be able to squat and go she has me go back to the room. I eventually force myself to go with the first nurse present, and that’s when she gives me the test results. She says, here, look, it says negative for amphetamines, pointing it out (I assume reassuring herself that that torture she just witnessed was justified.) I am at this point completely miserable and unable to think straight, but I think… wait, I didn’t think Ritalin WAS an amphetamine??? Why would my doctor test me for a series of drugs that Ritalin isn’t even included in?
The moment I got home, I realized the horrible truth that most of you probably know- Ritalin, or Methylphenidate, is NOT an amphetamine, so would not show up on a test for it. The only thing the test results the nurse gave me proves is that I am not taking any other drugs. I call the office (which has closed at this point) and leave a message for someone to call me back today. I’m ready for murder at this point. A nurse calls me first thing, and I explain what happened. She tells me that I should be talking to some manager/supervisor and that person will call me back. I thank her graciously and await this phone call.
So, She calls me… She says “Oh, I wanted to clairify our policy with you”. I respond that this has nothing to do with the policy, my doctor made me go through an invasive and humiliating test because he doesn’t understand the difference between Ritalin and Adderall. She then starts to insist that i’m completely incorrect, that this was a “random” test that I had apparently agreed to do when I signed a mysteriously missing contract. I tell her exactly the nurses actions, I tell her I have the test results in my hand- why, I ask, would my doctor test me for a group of drugs that Ritalin isn’t on? That was the whole point of the urine tests, wasn’t it? Her only response to that was that she asked him to not do that anymore but he TOTALLY didn’t request the test. It was completely random despite a nurse telling me it wasn’t random at all. She spends the entire conversation gaslighting me- I’M the crazy one for pointing out the inconsistencies in her story, her hands are tied, this is how they treat every patient and no one else “misunderstands the policy” but me, apparently, every other hospital does this too. I tell her she can hide behind her “policy” all she wants but she is in the wrong for treating her patients like criminals. I tell her I’m no longer going to see anyone at this hospital If this is how they treat people.
How can these people sleep at night?