Reply To: Transition From High School To College

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults Transition From High School To College Reply To: Transition From High School To College

vceross
Participant

His mom is wrong to fear meds; she should let him try them and allow him to make his own decision about whether to stay on them. My son has taken them for years and decided recently to stop; it has been very hard on him. I don’t understand how meds are a confidence issue; we take medications for all sorts of things. Why stigmatize ADD? However, the meds do have their downsides and that is something the son would have to work out for himself. His mom should not hold him back.

For those who do not want to pursue medication, I have also heard very good things about transcendental meditation and Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), both of which are apparently helping to rewire the ADD/ADHD brain. I’ve tried to talk my son into trying these but he is uninterested in pursuing these, both of which involve routine and practice for them to be effective.