Reply To: Running out of patience..

BRLK
Participant

@genntlyginly while I agree in consistent discipline and consequences for unacceptable behavior, I don’t believe that alone will not solve the issue. I find most kids, neurotypical or otherwise, who act out are doing so for a reason, not just to misbehave. ADHD kids in particular are behind in maturity and very sensitive and those two characteristics can make for explosive behavior. They are easily triggered but don’t have the maturity and/or coping skills to manage strong emotions so they act out with aggression or anger. The behavior is a symptom of the problem, not the root problem and I have found at my house when I see this behavior and start to dig deeper I can usually uncover the trigger, help my son resolve that and minimize the outburst and inappropriate behavior. Consequences are important – a common phrase at our house is “it’s ok to feel (insert emotion here) but it’s not ok to be rude and disrespectful” but repeated punishment without addressing the true issue won’t fix the problem.