Reply To: Should I tidy up after my 14-year-old son?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Organizing Your Child Should I tidy up after my 14-year-old son? Reply To: Should I tidy up after my 14-year-old son?

jewn77
Participant

Dear Deltamom,
We just do the best we can and that’s ok. I’m ADD and my nearly 13 yr old is ADHD. So, you can imagine our house varies from really clean to really cluttered. Just today I remarked to my ADD Mom that I do better with cleaning when I have less time to get it done. I guess that’s hyper focus. With my son and myself, we seem to work better when we listen to music. It keeps us on track for longer periods of time. I do get frustrated with his dirty room frequently and we do take away privileges when he does not complete appropriate tasks, such as picking up his dirty clothes, within a given timeframe. About twice a year we tackle the chore of cleaning and reorganizing his room together. Usually, it’s when I can’t take it anymore and he’s not getting anywhere. 😊 But, as I said before. We just do the best we can. I do have to say that I was pleasantly surprised yesterday. He cleaned in his room for almost an hour without being asked and has a functional desk that is no longer stacked with last year’s school papers from his backpack.