Reply To: (UK) Getting consistent care from the NHS for my partner.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond (UK) Getting consistent care from the NHS for my partner. Reply To: (UK) Getting consistent care from the NHS for my partner.

Penny Williams
Keymaster

It stinks that the new psychiatrist is still of the antiquated mindset that ADHD is only for kids or that ADHD can somehow “go away.” It’s a physiological difference in the brain that will always be there to some degree. So, on that front, please encourage him to keep seeking out new clinicians until he finds one who will truly LISTEN to him.

As far as treatment, there are many additional options besides stimulant medication. There are non-stimulants (Intuniv, Kapvay) and several medications that are often tried when typical ADHD medications can’t be tolerated (tricyclic antidepressants, bupropion, etc…). I don’t know which of these medications you may have in the UK, but that’s one option.

Alternative treatments, like a healthy lifestyle, can help a great deal as well.

The ADHD Food Fix

Exercise and the ADHD Brain: The Neuroscience of Movement

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism