Reply To: Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him? Reply To: Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him?

Rhodabike
Participant

“I leave him about every 1-2 months and then get back with him after a day or two because I love him and I don’t want to lose my two dogs… I really need to leave him as I don’t want to continue to live unhappily like this, but I want to do everything I can before breaking up.”
Ask your local animal shelters if there’s a program in place in your area to help women who want to leave abusive relationships but stay because they have pets. Are there any friends who could take your dogs in temporarily?
Don’t feel you have to exhaust every possibility before leaving him for good. You aren’t legally married to him, you don’t have children with him, it’s okay to just leave.
Oh, and make sure you use a method of birth control that he can’t sabotage. It really is a thing that controlling men sometimes get their partners pregnant to keep them tied to them.