Reply To: Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him? Reply To: Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him?

Katie719
Participant

My husband has ADHD and was diagnosed with a personality disorder as well. On top of that he has Juvenile diabetes. I wasn’t always sure about our relationship, but as time went by we grew together because we had very similar goals and put each others’ needs first. If you want kids and you see there being drugs and excessive drinking being in his future you may want to reconsider your relationship. Also, I have bi-polar disorder and when I was younger I self medicated with alcohol and drugs (which sounds like what he might be doing). I was told no alcohol or drugs, other than depakote and prozak. And if you want him to get well this is his only path. The alcohol and drugs destabilize him. If I were you and I was in it for the long haul I’d have him admitted to rehab and have them start treating him for his illness… although, most addicts refuse treatment.