Reply To: A Mom dealing with Depression or ADD??

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls A Mom dealing with Depression or ADD?? Reply To: A Mom dealing with Depression or ADD??

shane-jacinda
Participant

Hi Joy. I could have written your letter. I’ve been on and off antidepressants for 25 years. When my daughter was nine we had her tested and she was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive. I could have been looking in the mirror. All her symptoms were mine. All the years of feeling stupid and out of place finally made sense. I think I did develop depression dealing with ADHD alone for so long. As I get older, anxiety has joined the group.

I was a successful business owner and always worked hard. Change was my friend and challenges were something I had to prove to myself that I could meet. 12 years ago, when I had my first daughter, everything fell apart. I could not do it all. I had to sell my business. I tried working part time but I couldn’t even manage that. My kids are now 12 and 10 and I feel some relief. Today I take it one day at a time. I celebrate the small successes in my days. Some days are better than others. I’m trying new medications and it has been eye opening. Regular excercise makes a world of difference for me as well. Yoga is my favourite as the meditation forces my brain to slow down. There is a light at the end so remember to just breathe.