Reply To: Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him? Reply To: Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him?

Shirokuma
Participant

I thought deeply about it but can’t really find an answer.
My habits have slightly improved but I feel still a terrible husband.
Its probably a lot of small things plus very stressful collisions that made me realize that I must change.
For us breaking up was not an option. Both of us feel that on-off relationships have too high chance in divorce in the future.
That’s what made it stressful but it let me discover myself.
I moved out of my own country to be away from anybody who could influence me negatively.
I broke contact with my family (who don’t believe in ADHD), from my friends,… and my wife helped me to get in contact with people with positive influence.
Every day I am focusing on my negative points to improve but still often do stupid things like an anger outburst or forget something my wife told me already 10 times.

Do I advice he should do something this radical like breaking with family and friends? Not really.
But I would like to advice you to think about how much problems an on-off relationships can give you in the future.
And if you still decide you want to be with him, maybe give him the book of Dr Amen. When I read the book it made me cry because I was reading exactly my life.
After reading that we made an appointment and eventually I got diagnosed.
Or maybe my advice is still not good because I am still learning to know myself.