Reply To: Newly diagnosed at 40 – bittersweet

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Newly diagnosed at 40 – bittersweet Reply To: Newly diagnosed at 40 – bittersweet

lizcrall
Participant

I’ve been on Adderall for three days. I was officially diagnosed Thursday. I’m 43. It was excruciating working through our health care system (Kaiser) to get to a psychiatrist. My doctor asked if I’d ever been diagnosed with ADHD and as soon as I read about it I knew I had it. The first pill I took changed my whole world.

I know I feel fragile. I spent the weekend cleaning my bedroom and bathroom and landscaping the side of my house. I’m doing my very best not to look backwards but stay present. I want to post apologies all over Facebook for life experiences but I tell myself no.

I took DBT awhile ago and the skills there were really helpful. Mindfulness is super useful.
If you’re feeling low, you can come take a look at my Self Soothing Pinterest Page. DBT suggested making one. It’s full of happy things. I go to it when I’m in a loop of feeling unhappy or angry.

https://www.pinterest.com/elisagraybill/self-soothing-dbt/

I know it’s going to get better. Hang in there.