Reply To: Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him? Reply To: Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him?

DDDaysh
Participant

The only option now is couples counseling. He is abusive towards you, and that is unacceptable. If you can get in with a joint therapist, there may be hope that it will change your interactions, but if he is unwilling to try then it’s time to leave (and take the dogs with you!) Love can’t solve all problems. If love was enough, there would be far fewer relationships that fall apart, but it just isn’t. Compatibility is a huge factor, and it sounds like as much as you love him, he’s unwilling to change to be more compatible with your needs. That isn’t the ADHD talking. That isn’t another mental illness talking. If it was, he would be actively seeking help. His willingness to change has to come from inside, and until he’s willing to show you that by taking the steps I mentioned above, there’s no hope for the future. Please, if he won’t get help, leave before he actually hurts you.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by DDDaysh.