Reply To: Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him? Reply To: Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him?

setlib
Participant

To help make your decision, you should think very carefully about whether you might ever want to have children with your boyfriend in the future if you two stayed together. There is a genetic component to many of these disorders, so if the two of you became parents, not only would your children most likely struggle with many of these issues and probably have difficulty in school, but you would also have to be coping with the demands of parenting with a partner who doesn’t sound like he will be able to calmly support you and your children through these struggles. Just read some of the other discussion threads on this site to get a taste of the extra challenges of parenting children who aren’t neurotypical. Even if your children don’t inherit any of these disorders, would you want them raised in a home filled with emotional outbursts, drunk driving, and other dangers?