Reply To: Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him? Reply To: Can my boyfriend get better or shall I leave him?

Katv
Participant

Every person with ADD or Asburgers is different. Might be bipolar but people with ADD etc can also have explosive reactions. A neuropsychological evaluation includes a battery of tests that can diagnose plus pinpoint specifically how a person is impacted, including Executive Function (EF)disorder. We were all relieved to finally understand what’s happening with my adult son rather than assuming he was making bad decisions or unmotivated. Medication and EF coaching is helping him, as he is open to trying strategies to accommodate. A psychiatrist previously said he had depression and also some ADD for which he prescribed a medication to take when he needed to focus more. That was NOT the help he needed, he needed the evaluation and then to be followed by a neuropsychiatrist who fully understands the issues. He takes extended release medication daily for the ADD now, big improvement (able to get things done, calmer). As a mom, I appreciate that you care and are reaching out for information. Perhaps you can convince him to get evaluated. Tell him that for my son it was a huge relief and significantly reduced the strain he was under.