Reply To: how do I stop beating myself up and start building myself up?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame how do I stop beating myself up and start building myself up? Reply To: how do I stop beating myself up and start building myself up?

Simpleoneaz
Participant

I can sure relate. I was diagnosed 5 years ago. As a very young child I had a ritual. I would lay in bed and review the day and think about all the stupid things I said or did. The inner voice is not my friend. When I make a mistake these days, you would think I walked into a bank, robbed it and took out 12 people. I’m horrible with my negative, critical self talk. I try and recognize when it kicks in and I politely tell it to shut up. I then think about the wonderful things I do throughout the day. Even if it is putting one dish in the dishwasher. I also recently stopped doing something, I’ve stopped apologizing every 5 minutes at work. This has been amazing. I didn’t realize how much I did that until a new employee very nicely pointed it out. The #1 person I have conflict with is my boss. Talk about a nightmare to work for. I’ve stopped apologizing to her and it’s been a trip. I didn’t realize how much I assumed responsibility for their errors and would internally blame my ADD. As far as suggestions on time management, I too work on this daily. My hyper focus gets me in hot water as I lose all sense of time. It’s not easy being me, but I get better every day.