Reply To: How are you preparing for the upcoming school year?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning How are you preparing for the upcoming school year? Reply To: How are you preparing for the upcoming school year?

Penny Williams
Keymaster

I’ll start. 😉

My son is starting high school. Yikes! He has really bad executive functioning – never writing things down, forgetting to turn in assignments (if they’re done at all), etc. That, coupled with the social struggle of Asperger’s/Autism (and ADHD and dysgraphia) make school so very hard.

I’m worried that these struggles will be even more difficult to manage and cope with in high school.

I am hopeful, however, because he will have a guided study hall for students with IEPs. I had to insist that he be placed in the study hall, but felt strongly he could use the extra help.

Right now, we still have 5 weeks of summer left and we are taking it easy. As soon as schedules are posted (in a few weeks still), it will be back to emails, meetings, and fighting tooth and nail for the help and services my son needs and deserves.

Of course, we will go to freshman orientation and walk his schedule and meet all his teachers so that he will be more comfortable. And I always give teachers a short letter about his strengths and weaknesses and a 1-page overview of his IEP at the beginning of school.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism