Reply To: Unusual request/situation

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Unusual request/situation Reply To: Unusual request/situation


Hi, as a 6th grade teacher with ADHD, I might be able to offer some insight/advice. Your child might qualify for an IEP under “Other Health Impairment” which is an umbrella term that covers conditions that limit a child’s strength, energy or alertness such as ADHD. I’m assuming she hasn’t had an IEP up to this point in school, so what you should do (or at least what I would do) is ask your doctors for copies of your child’s testing results as well as a note from the doctor explaining the results and how it has adversely affected your child’s academic performance. Then you need to call the school’s IEP coordinator as well as the principal and ask for a conference regarding turning over her retention based on these results. The IEP coordinator should be able to discuss options as far as what you need to do to get the ball rolling on qualifying her for an IEP. Every state and district has different procedures and policies for what they will qualify for an IEP. I know in my district, the school will often implement its own inquiries based on feedback from teachers who currently have the student in question. If you can’t get an IEP, then a 504 Plan is a viable option. I had a student with pretty severe ADHD who didn’t qualify for an IEP, but he did get on a 504 Plan.

Here is a link to a site that shows the comparison between the two.

I hope I was able to help! 🙂