Reply To: Assignments? What assignments?

donsense
Participant

I used to fake it thru middle and High School.. what i couldnt get done in class or in the five minutes before class didnt get done. I became exceptionally good at knowing the answers to everything in Math, algebra, geometry and tryg. Physics, chemistry, history and geography. I became an expert in correcting every mistake the teachers wrote on the blackboard. Good at getting homework done in detention if and when. Not working from home is a habit i have never been able to break. Home has far to many distractions to be used for work.
In business i instantly learned to stay until it was done. My partner in business however was always taking his briefcase home and leaving at the crack of 5. It took til midnight sometimes but reports and projects were always finished on time. Ernings as a consultant in actuarial pensions and Benefits earned a low mid six figure income.
There were many nights, but in my mind home was not a place you worked.
It is extremely hard to get started and to stay focused when your attention is elsewhere. I managed to complete all of grade 9 most of grade 10 and 11 but technically i am a middle school dropout who made a living in a profession that usually takes 9 or 10 years of University. All it took was a top 1% IQ and a weird sense of where work should be done and a desire to do it.
Yes even careers have to upgrade and acquire new skills, expertise and credentials. My lunch hours were crammed with technical studies as were the after hours desk work i was doing. But it was never taken home.

Ps On two occasions i was expelled from class for not completing assignments. The first was when the Geography teacher looked in my notebook and found nothing but two pages of doodles. I had not completed anything in 8 months. However my exam results although they only counted 80% of total were good enough for me to manage a >75% mark in class and an exemption to finals. He immediately expelled me and gave me a note to have my father meet with him. I had to completely copy a set of notes for the whole year before he would let me back in the room. I did manage to do that at home. However he never gave me my notes back. I wrote that final exam and aced it in half the minimum time i had to stay in the exam room and stared at him for the other half. He was convinced I was cheating (obviously not) and I attended a new school the following year. I dont know what he wrote to the new school but they were on me like glue. Three assignments missed and you were out of that subject and if you were out of three you were out of school. So I never made it past the legal age at which they could expel me in Grade 11 ( 16) and immediarely looked for work. I had worked all my summers from age 12 so my experience made my first two jobs. My dad only had one rule at home go to school or pay board and room. Employment was not necessary but desirable.
Between the board and room and the new car, the following spring there was no money left and prospects of a raise were slim. That education was needed after all and the answer involved joining a program that allowed you to finish your highschool in the army and then if suitable attend University. Although stationed in Montreal and successfully completing all of their subjects they didnt teach French, and it was needed to get in to University. So after two years of trying i managed to leave the army on thursday and start work on Monday at one of the three largest insurers in the country.
My first assignment was to balance a set of data that my predecessor had been working on for three weeks. Not knowing that and thinking it had to be completed that day, come quiting time and still at it, the boss came over and said finish it tomorrow. I did. That was the first and not the last time competing against Commerce accounting and actuarial graduates. Other than summer students, all hires of men in those days were University Graduates. I was the guinea pig, token high scool grad and my boss 5 years from retirement said he could hire HS students who would work out far better than these commerce grads.

I could have skipped all that if I could work from home and not a day went by that i didnt rue that lack of a degree. 5 years in the airborne is a great teacher but an awful penalty to pay to get ahead in life.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by donsense.