Reply To: adhd fatigue

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults adhd fatigue Reply To: adhd fatigue

sdr4997
Participant

I didn’t realize fatigue comes with ADHD. I am fatigued (debilitatingly so) daily, but just always blamed the hypothyroidism, RA, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Fibromyalgia. I guess I can add ADHD to the list of diseases I have that attributes to the fatigue. I have been on disability for 10 years, since my daughter was born. I was 30 when my dr put me out of work permanently, which did a lot of damage to many friendships and helped in the downfall of my marriage, because people saw me going on disability as an “out” for being lazy and not wanting to put the effort into working all day then coming home and being mom. I am thankful my dr saw that I physically could not work and be mom both and he chose to put me out of work so I could focus on being mom. Even with no job, being mom wears me out. I generally lay down when she goes to school and sleep til time for her to come home. Fatigue is a very real condition and most people have no idea how debilitating it can be.

Part of dealing with the fatigue is understanding it is a chronic condition, it is real, and it does not mean you are lazy, antisocial, or unmotivated. It just means your body is telling you something is off and it needs rest. My dr put me on a medicine to help keep me alert the days I can’t sleep like if I am volunteering or substituting at my daughter’s school. I also took phenergan for awhile at night along with periactin, but I found those meds left me really tired and groggy even after 10-12 hours of sleep. Melatonin left me feeling like I was on a bad hangover the next day which didn’t really help with the need to get out of bed and be productive. The only solution I have found for my sleep in improving the length of time I sleep as well as the quality of sleep so that I can feel better has been meditation and sleep guided meditation at night. I took a mind and body class that really benefited me more than any pill or syrup the doc has been able to prescribe. If you haven’t ever tried guided meditation for sleep or for preparing for the day, I would suggest trying it. It feels weird the first week or so, but if you stick with it, you will find it is easier to relax and drift into a more restorative sleep cycle than when you lay down amped up from the work week.

http://www.fragrantheart.com/cms/free-audio-meditations/relaxation/peaceful-sleep is a good site to go to for guided meditation that is free. I prefer the ones with background music, but some people find the music disturbing. I hope you can find some resolution to the amount of fatigue so you can own your weekends again.