Reply To: Concern for my 14 year old son and his isolation

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults Concern for my 14 year old son and his isolation Reply To: Concern for my 14 year old son and his isolation

jowilson002
Participant

My son is an adult now with many, many friends. This was not always the case. My son only had people he called friends at activities like karate lessons. All the people there had something in common and therefore something to talk about. Throughout the years we would pursue any activity my son showed interest in: art lessons, choir, violin, zoo camp, chess club, theater camp, auditioning for plays, etc. He also has a huge interest in automobile mechanics and sports cars. He like comic books and fancy yoyos. I bought auto magazines and comic books and yoyos and he would take them to school. Boys with simular interests would gravitate to him to see a magazine or try out his new yoyo. He is also very interested in computers and can fix anything electronic. He became the go to guy to get your computer fixed in high school, not only by other students but by teachers as well. I told my son to not approach other kids because he came on to stong. When he started letting the kids come to him things changed and every since high school my son has been blessed with the best friends anyone could ask for. Most of them share the same interests and they will be friends for life. They work on computers and cars together and they go on vacation together every year. What more could I ask for. I hope this helps someone.