Reply To: High-Achieving Kid Envy at Graduation

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents High-Achieving Kid Envy at Graduation Reply To: High-Achieving Kid Envy at Graduation

Penny Williams
Keymaster

I think Joyce hit the nail on the head — you have to change your perspective. And, even then, it’s hard to sit through 2 hours of others’ achievements getting acknowledged, but not your child’s, because your child’s achievements aren’t typical for his age.

I can’t remember where this was suggested, but create a family report card and family rewards. Include things like being kind to others, making progress with goals, and all the things schools don’t recognize enough. Show your son (and yourself through the process) that there are many more things that matter, and many things he does well and is good at.

Some kids just aren’t good with school. It took me a long time, but I’ve come to accept that my son is one of those kids. I know he’ll do great things later, just not public education.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism