Reply To: ADHD–Lacking benefit from modern ideas/tips

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD ADHD–Lacking benefit from modern ideas/tips Reply To: ADHD–Lacking benefit from modern ideas/tips

belikewater
Participant

Because ADHD brains lack dopamine, I did a google search on supplements that increase dopamine (and this was also a result of crazy obsessive research on the brain chemistry of ADHD brains and solutions for us besides the typical diet, exercise stuff). Some examples are Acetyl L Carnitine, Gingko Biloba, and Phosphatidylserine. Now let me tell you about phosphatidylserine, but i’ll tell you what you really want to know first. It really works. Granted, I take adderall when I study and getting other stuff done but phosphatidylserine most definitely enhances the adderall and I can feel it the next day, even before I take adderall. Even though you aren’t taking stimulants, I think it will help you too, although everybody is different. For example, I’ve tried Acetyl l carnitine and I didn’t feel that it gave me the effect I wanted but for some people it worked. I’ve spent (and kind of wasted) so much money experimenting on different supplements and so much time obsessively researching our brains, but maybe if you have insurance or can afford it, talk to a neurologist, something I’m hoping my insurance will cover, because they work with the brain and nervous system. Also, look into how other neurotransmitters besides dopamine may effect you (ex: serotonin). I also orally consume about a teaspoon or two of coconut oil which also helps with my energy levels. Now this one took a while to work for me, maybe because I have chronic fatigue or something, but one day I think about 2-3 months later, I noticed a surge in energy and a kind of sharp clarity. oh yeah, I’ve also been taking fish oil because you have to take it if you take phosphatidylserine. Google phosphat for more info. I hope this helps and is what you’re looking for. I understand your frustration with the suggestions about exercise and meditation, which do really help, but for me those were not enough on their own.

Best