Reply To: Financial mess and shame

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships Financial mess and shame Reply To: Financial mess and shame

Miss.Entropy
Participant

I am 36 and diagnosed later in life. Two things have really helped me. First, from my experience, people with ADD tend to have the tendency to hoard. They live in clutter and are a bit messy. Read, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1607747308/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_EZjvzbWJPDQHX

It helps you to get control of your house and the things you own as well as teaches you to buy things that only bring you joy as opposed to a “high” or compulsively buying stuff you don’t need. It’s seriously really helpful.
Secondly, read or listen to (I listened to the CD because it’s easier to fit in)
The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness https://www.amazon.com/dp/1595555277/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_m6jvzb9MRCMMW

This really helps you understand how to get on track with your finances in a very straight forward way. It’s hard work, but extremely effective. There is a “Christian” spin to it, but if you don’t share those beliefs it has nothing to do with the actual financial planning so just ignore it.

When my house is in order and my money is in order I am so much more at peace with the gongshow that my life is most of the time! I can then concentrate on the little things that are equally important but get pushed aside.

Chaos follows us around. Better to face it head on and deal with it then live a lie and pretend it doesn’t exist while blaming others and/or circumstances for the problems we create. We just need a system! It takes hard work and a lot of failure, but I can say that two steps forward and one step back means you are still moving forward- just slower than most people. But we are used to that, or should be by now. Cut yourself some slack and move forward. The worst thing you can do is whine about your problems and not do anything about them, only looking for people to wallow in your pitty. Read these books! They changed my life. I hope others try them out as well.