Reply To: Distraught mom – found 2001 Baizer study re: side effects Ritalin

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Distraught mom – found 2001 Baizer study re: side effects Ritalin Reply To: Distraught mom – found 2001 Baizer study re: side effects Ritalin

Lys
Participant

Social anxiety is extremely common in ADHD people with or without medication being involved, so it’s hard to tell. It can often evolve in Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria under stressful situations (lots of info on that on this site). I still remember my first year in university – lack of sleep, crappy food and too much necessary social interaction, combined with more focus than I even needed due to long-term projects was more than I could physically handle, and it took me a few years to get myself fully together again. There may or may not be side effects to stimulants, but chances are he might have gotten here regardless. If may even be that the stimulants delayed the onset of his anxiety.

It’s in the nature of parents to second-guess ourselves. Now that I have an ADHD kid myself, the last thing I want is for her to feel anxious, or not good enough, but the world is all too eager to hurl our inadequacies in our faces (and I say that as a person that is overall thankful for having ADHD). The problem is that guilt on our part adds to the burden that ADHD kids have to bear. My suggestion would be to leave the past in the past and concentrate on the present. Proper food (plenty of protein, less carbs, no candy bars and preferably no alcohol) and some good sleep would go a long way in calming his depression and anxiety, no matter how “uncool” he might feel. You have done the best he could, now is his turn to learn to take care of himself. Hugs!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Lys.
  • This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Lys.