Reply To: Son has no interest, no motivation. I’m out of ideas.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults Son has no interest, no motivation. I’m out of ideas. Reply To: Son has no interest, no motivation. I’m out of ideas.

GJMom
Participant

I agree with the recommendation to take a complete electronics break. It was SO difficult to implement with my son (10, not diagnosed, but exhibits many symptoms and behaviors of ADHD – impulsiveness, lack of enthusiasm for much of anything, negative self talk, etc. etc). He raged, and screamed, and cried, and begged. But after a week, he was agreeing that he felt better, and major meltdowns began to fade, and he went outside to play with the kids next door without prompting. I have always limited his screen time, but this total reset really helped us regroup.

Also, I have found that finding ways to be deliberately playful has helped us immensely. The more playful we all are, the easier it is for my son to stay in control and enjoy life. We went to a trampoline park the other night for their neon jump party, and it was amazing. He smiled and stayed engaged the whole time, and is already eager to go back. I didn’t just take him and watch — I jumped with him. Playing together really helps us connect.

There’s a great book, Playdhd, by Dr. Kirsten Milliken that has helped me look at play as a resource. She has a great Facebook page as well, and is starting to do Facebook live events on Tuesday evenings. Play is so important – and she has some great ideas and suggestions on how to be more playful to help manage ADHD.