Reply To: Has Anyone Had and Conquered This Issue?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Has Anyone Had and Conquered This Issue? Reply To: Has Anyone Had and Conquered This Issue?

Lys
Participant

Have you seen this book? “Presence: Bringing Your Boldest Self to Your Biggest Challenges” by Amy Cuddy (https://www.amazon.com/Presence-Bringing-Boldest-Biggest-Challenges-ebook/dp/B00U6DNZK8/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8). She gave a TED talk too, I think. The book is all over the place (ADHD warning!), but it has some good thoughts about how we present ourselves to others and the science behind it, and how we can get our message across. One thing I got out of it, and I use, is to remind myself that I have the right to be there and to have my voice heard (the impostor syndrome is alive and well in the ADHD community). I found this prevents some of the self-consciousness that seems to get hold when I try to convince somebody of something. Anyhow, it makes for some good thinking on the subject, because it’s much easier to change the way you present the message than to change yourself, even when you know what’s causing the issue to begin with.

ETA: I guess what I’m saying is that there are three components here — the initial feeling and its cause, the resulting embarrassment, and the need to get the message across. It’s possible that all three areas might benefit from some creative thinking. And you can tell people that the snakes were about to get up and dance the samba, and they will believe you, that’s how little most know about them 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Lys.